Once Works Well was pure technology. Now it seeks merely to divert.
Pansy subjects - Verse! Opera! Domestic trivia! - are now commonplace.
The 300-word limit for posts is retained. The ego is enlarged

Thursday 15 May 2008

TECHNO-ART Another novel but with a name you'll always remember. "The Gold-bug Variations" by Richard Powers links the technicalities of Bach's music with the application of DNA. The latter field is one I've had difficulty absorbing although I found "The Double Helix" a real page-turner all those years ago. Gold-bug's proposition seemed daring and I read it with interest. But with less understanding. I needed a second opinion and had Amazon send a copy to a friend of mine with a physics background. When we next met he didn't volunteer an opinion and so I was forced to ask him outright. He sighed: "Well, it's very long". I changed the subject.

No comments: