Once Works Well was pure technology. Now it seeks merely to divert.
Pansy subjects - Verse! Opera! Domestic trivia! - are now commonplace.
The 300-word limit for posts is retained. The ego is enlarged

Saturday, 1 August 2009

Save the BBs from poisoning

Any ideas? The upper surface is sticky, possibly even slimy.

2 comments:

Plutarch said...

It belongs to the boletes family which are distinguished by the sponge-like pores on the underside of the cap as distinct from gills which are found on other types of funghi. Most boletes, among the them ceps (bolitus edulis) known in England as penny buns, are edible. But there are one or two exceptions. It is difficult to tell with this one. One of my field guides suggests that it might be what the Americans call Slippery Jack on account of its slimy surface.It doesn't seem to have a name in England, though it is found. Richard Mabey gives a recipe for slippery jack soup. Mushroomers deduce a lot from the habitat and smell of their finds. Though I have foragaged a lot, and been lucy enough to find ceps and chaterelled among others, I have been reluctant to take risks and confess to cowardice in the face of doubt. I would counsel the Bondens to observe extreme caution.

Julia said...

I agree. As Plutarch says, it is a bolete but that was all I could figure out even after flipping through a few mushroom books. I tend to only eat a wild mushroom find after I have run it by the nearest Czech person!

What does it smell like and where did you find it, by the way?