Once Works Well was pure technology. Now it seeks merely to divert.
Pansy subjects - Verse! Opera! Domestic trivia! - are now commonplace.
The 300-word limit for posts is retained. The ego is enlarged

Tuesday 24 June 2008

Long-term enemy pays a visit

My credentials as an inadequate gardener are well established on this and other blogs. But here's another justification.

Kneeling to pull out weeds leaves my toes pointing at right-angles to the ground. If I'm careless my big toes bend slightly in the wrong direction (ie, towards, rather than away from, my knees). Recently I was careless and as I stood up I detected the signs of my long-term enemy - gout.

I need say no more about gout, for Gillray has said it all (see inset). I suffered for years until a revered doctor prescribed Allopurinol which inhibits the build-up of uric acid crystals in the joints. Now, provided I'm careful and avoid aggravating vulnerable joints, my physiology remains under control. Allopurinol works and deserves its place in this blog's pantheon.

But you can see why my feelings towards horticulture are, at best, mixed.

No comments: