Once Works Well was pure technology. Now it seeks merely to divert.
Pansy subjects - Verse! Opera! Domestic trivia! - are now commonplace.
The 300-word limit for posts is retained. The ego is enlarged

Thursday 15 October 2009

A post from the distaff side

Plutarch's most recent post consists of a breaking wave, reminding me that when we met at TBR he was interested to hear Mrs BB had taken up painting and urged me to let in some light on this matter. Mrs BB's reaction to this was predictable (ie, No.) but one doesn't live for forty-nine years with someone and not discover one or two of the pressable buttons. In the end neither of us could decide which of our preferences should get the nod, so here they both are with another thrown in for good luck. The fact that neither is precisely aligned can be blamed on the one who operated the camera.
PS: Further close examination revealed that the twin paintings were not only unaligned but out of focus. Hence their replacement.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulation on the wave in particular.

The Crow said...

Impressive works, Mrs. BB. I imagine I can hear the wave's crashing sound against the shore; beautifully captured, I think.

:)

Occasional Speeder said...

I expect you'll be tutted at but the wave in particular needs a wider audience. I'm sure Mrs BB will forgive you if you venture under the stairs for a dusty bottle of something very good.

Avus said...

I have always enjoyed that particular view of Hadrian's Wall (walked it often). Did Mrs. BB sit there and paint it, or is it from a photograph?

Rouchswalwe said...

Hadrian's Wall! It is! Mrs. BB, you wield a splendid brush. I wish I could see it closer ... is it an oil painting?

marja-leena said...

Wow, a hidden talent, how wonderful these are, Mrs BB! I love the wave.

herhimnbryn said...

They are stunning Mrs BB. Like Avus I especially like the 'Wall'. It draws one in.

Hattie said...

Wow. To echo Marja-Leena, a hidden talent. Are they oils or acrylics?

Roderick Robinson said...

All: The wave is an acrylic, the others are oils. Since Mrs BB is still under tuition all three can be considered exercises and were done from graphic sources. Yes, Avus is right, it is that wall.

My thanks to you all on her behalf.

Sir Hugh said...

All good stuff. I recognised Hadrian's Wall immediately. When I walked The Pennine Way and was approaching this landmark I had a mental picture of a long horizontal wall. Back in the real world I found it was a strenuous, heart pumping switchback.

Julia said...

All are beautiful, and I love the marshes particularly (having marshy roots). Which marshes are they?

Sir Hugh said...

Julia - to me it looks like Rannoch Moor on the way to Glencoe in Scotland.

Roderick Robinson said...

Sir Hugh/Julia: It's Rainham Marshes, down in Essex, close to the sea.

Rouchswalwe said...

Ah, yes ... much better! The "movement" in the Wall oil is very nice. I feel as though I am walking next to it.

Lucy said...

Brava, Mrs Bonden! I can't decide which I like best; the wave is certainly very dramatic, but the others each have a lovely sense of place.